Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Adventures in Ancient Egypt


This past week we learned all about Ancient Egypt. Using both Story of the World and Galloping the Globe as well as some other wonderful literature resources we really learned a great deal about this country and its rich history. I can definitely say I learned as much as my little one!

We started off with basic map work of the country and drawing the flag. From there we read a few great books I had picked up from the library.


Cleopatra by Diane Stanley was a great read. Although packed with a lot of information, it really kept Bean's interest up. There was a lot I did not know about Cleopatra, she was quite the woman. I love for Bean to learn about strong female historical characters! Girl power!

Another book we thoroughly enjoyed this week was Hatshepsut, First Female Pharaoh. Bean could not wait for us to read this. Lots of fascinating info in this book, and we split the reading into two days, and learned a great deal! I wouldn't call myself a history buff by any means, but apparently this first grade history might have me changing my ways!


After reading Hatshepsut, we decided we would make pharaoh collars. The book I had initially seen the idea for this is used felt for the collars, but we substituted yellow construction paper and that worked out just fine. I cut a template out of four pieces of construction paper, and let her decorate each one with die cuts and sequins. Once they were dry we pieced them together and let her try it on!



At the end of the week, we read a book called The Day of Ahmed's secret by Florence H. Parry. Bean enjoyed this book about a young Egyptian boy who surprised his family with his new ability to write his own name. Bean was fascinated that this little boy had a job and worked to support his family.


After we read this book, we decide to make a cartouche. I cut some construction paper out -a bit wonky because the hieroglyphics printed out a bit larger than I expected, and I didn't feel like trying to shrink them! I printed out a chart with the whole Egyptian alphabet from http://www.rom.on.ca/programs/activities/egypt/learn/alphabet.php?media=print and then I found the individual hieroglyphics from this website:

I had already printed out the letters for her name, so we just went through the alphabet chart and then she picked out the appropriate letter and glued it on her cartouche.


No comments:

Post a Comment