Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Beginning...


We are a week into our journey of first grade. As this is our second year in the world of homeschooling, I feel pretty good being able to say I feel a bit more comfortable with things this year. While I still have tons to learn, and I realize that every new year will bring its own challenges, I am noticeably not as anxious as I was at this time last year.

Last year, if we got everything done on our list for the day I was in a mad rush to print out more worksheets, because we had to devote "x" amount of time to our studies. Don't get me wrong, last year we had plenty of creative free time, I am just a little more relaxed about things this year. I realize that the lines blur between me being a parent and an educator, and that ideally we are always learning-not only in "school" hours.

This brings me to my goal for homeschooling-instilling a love of learning in my daughter. So often, and I speak from experience, we are just learning to pass a test, to make the grade, etc. When learning is looked at as a chore, or something to just get us over the hurdle-we can't possibly see the joy in it.

Now, I realize all of this has something to do with my perspective as an adult, but I love learning now. My daughter and I will be reading a book together and already in first grade there is so much I am learning! Now, perhaps I lost a lot of information my brain didn't deem necessary to keep at the forefront of my brain over time, but I am almost certain we never learned half of what the bean and I are studying together!

Here's to a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment